This is a fantastic article that explores how fiber ‘mistakes’ can be easily fixed with a drum carder. Everything from a splotch of too bright color to a bit of felting in the dye pot can be fixed with a drum carder. The too bright color can be mellowed out with a few passes through the drum carder and carding the fiber can fix some of the felting by reintroducing air. Admittedly if the fiber is too felted all you will be doing is breaking apart the fibers and introducing ‘nepps’ into your batt. But really those can also be called ‘texture’ and creating an ‘art batt’. This is also a great reminder for me that dimension can be added at other points in the creation process other than the dye bath. *Don’t forget the sparkle*
This is one persons utilization of Evernote to keep their life organized.
- A master list of everything that they have to do in their life. Work, personal, etc. They still maintain a daily list, but this is their overarching document.
- Create a packing list for trips, if you travel often have a master list like warm places packing, cold places packing, leisure, family, etc.
- Keep a list of long term goals, even adding photos etc, to make it more visually interesting.
- Scan important papers, receipts, business cards, etc.
- Use evernote e-mail address to subscribe to newsletters so they don’t clutter up your inbox
- Clip web pages to read later
- Make digital post it notes so that brainstorms are not lost later and work is not interrupted
- Pick meals from a master list of favorite recipes
- Keep a running grocery list
*The first few items seem silly, I can use any word/pages document even the notes function of my phone/ipad for making, keeping and maintaining master lists. Scanning important documents, okay that might be useful. Clipping web pages to read later, I do that with instapaper but it is a useful function of evernote. Make digital post it notes, that can be useful if you have evernote integrated into your work computer. Picking meals from a master list, this is a great tip, I think I’ll make one on pages. Keep a running grocery list? Again that’s what I have Notes for on my phone, and why is syncs up to my ipad. On a more practical note I was just checking why I stopped using evernote and here it is: Sync across 2 devices If I want to sync my notes on more than 2 devices I have to pay evernote $35 per year. (the ‘evernote e-mail’ thing also requires the ‘Plus’ subscription.) Admittedly $35 per year is not that much in digital terms, but when you can do barely more than my already included with purchase, or free apps then why should I pay you $35 a year? Let alone the $70 subscription where you can scan and digitaze the business cards. No wonder this author uses Evernote for everything you have to justify $70 a year somehow.* Just my 2 cents.
This is a good, short, article that reminds the reader that weaving (or anything) for a baby has more considerations than for any other type of person. I know when crocheting for babies there are certain patterns that I look at and all I can think of is the baby getting their little fingers and toes stuck in all of the holes!